Monday, February 2, 2015

Columbia Public School Candidate Screening notes

CPS Candidate Screening Notes


The CMNEA PAC committee met with CPS school board candidate and current school board president Christine King on Thursday, Jan. 23rd in the Paxton Keeley Elementary School cafeteria.  The interview team included: Becky Elder, Monica Miller, Alexander Tai, Anja Walentik, and Sue Winter.

On Friday, Jan. 24th the interview team met with candidates Darin Preis (incumbent) and Derek Wade (new candidate) in the Paxton Keeley Elementary School media center.  The interview team included: Becky Elder, Monica Miller, Judi Privitt, Anja Walentik and Sue Winter.

All members of CMNEA were invited to attend the screening.  No other members attended.

Our notes below is a summary of the questions we asked during those two days and the responses we heard.  The candidates were shown our notes before they were posted to this blog.

CMNEA PAC requests that you take the time to read through these notes, review the responses the candidates gave to our questionnaire, and view the forum online.  There is a link to the forum in this blog.  Our final request is for YOU, the member, to attend our CMNEA RA Tues. Feb. 3, 2015 (tomorrow!) to vote on the recommendation for CMNEA support.

Here are the notes:

 Screening with School Board Candidate Christine King       January 22, 2015
Please tell us about yourself and why you decided to run for a school board position.
I was initially involved with PTSA and Columbia Montessori and their education issues. Then became interested in Columbia Public School’s school board.  I ran and was elected in 2009.  I find my current position gratifying and rewarding.  I ran in 2012 which had a bond and tax levy issue which brought community input.  As president, I find myself in a unique role of listening to all board members.  Whenever I make a comment, it is perceived as a comment from the Board.  Sometimes, I feel I have to refrain from making a comment if the question is something the Board has not discussed.    
I have learned so much from my time on the board.  For example, when my son was like 3 or so, he would go outside and experience nature and ask  so many  questions.  The reality that not all students have had these kinds of experiences in preschool and come to school without the preparation that preschool can provide was a little surprising.  Everyone in Columbia kind of lives in their own neighborhoods and doesn’t really understand some of the challenges that face our fragile families.
I’m running again this round, but I don’t see myself as being on the board for the next 20 years.
How do you see yourself as an advocate for teachers?  How is the board a communicator to the public of teachers’ issues?
For example, with Amendment 3 board members were advocates for teachers.  Some members are stronger than others. I would like to see some current members go visit with legislators regarding funding.  This is an area the board could work harder on.    
This board has done a good job communicating with the community about bond issues, tax levies and boundaries.  The next World Café, October 21, 2015, is a tentative date for community input for a 2016 levy/bond.  The board is trying to be more proactive.  We don’t wait to staff areas but do so as we become aware.  We did advance hiring at Battle i.e. principals and assistant principals first so they could begin meeting and developing a school community even before the school opened.
Teachers are experiencing an increase in students with mental health issues.  What are your thoughts on this issue?
I am aware of student stories.  Our Missouri community has easy to access community services which brings more to our schools.  I value Dr. Stiepleman’s vision for CPS especially emphasis on fragile families.
There is concern that kindergarten is not currently being seen as early education with a priority of socialization and developmentally appropriate lessons.  How do teachers advocate for this when there is an emphasis on academics?
I do take input of concerns and though I don’t want to micro manage I will pass them on to administrators in the district.  It is also important for teachers to take concerns to building principals.  We know in our district that some students arrive for kindergarten with birth to five issues for example with a need to explore and be social.  The socialization part of kindergarten is a key component.  
How would you see teachers communicating with you?
I feel the board understands student needs and I feel Columbia Public Schools makes a difference in student lives.  I do appreciate teacher input.  I do see personal growth in myself following running in 2009 as I have become aware of the poverty of some CPS students.  I am proud the board has taken this to the community especially community leaders.  I am also aware of the importance of preschool education.  Another World Café has been suggested for community and staff input.

We do have teacher concerns increasing salary and restoring frozen steps.
The board will have conversations when the bargaining team presents their concerns about salaries and budgets.  This is very difficult because so much depends on what happens with state money---it status quo or increased?   Our budget is very difficult to predict as it depends on a state budget which is much less than CPS desires to educate students.  I would like the state to be realistic i.e. their predictions of amount of free and reduced lunch per district doesn’t match our actual numbers. I appreciate last year when the bargaining team surveyed teachers regarding restoring frozen steps and communicated that with us.  It is frustrating when money available is less than what teachers’ desire.  Everyone has to make choices when it comes to living within their means.  For example, when I decided to leave my job at State Farm, we had to cut corners and tighten our belts to live on one salary.  No matter what the profession, there are people who are very frugal with their money and those that struggle to live on their budget.  

Screening with School Board Candidate Darin Preis       January 23, 2015
Could you tell us about your reason for running for a school board position?
Both of my parents are teachers and I have memories of growing up hearing them discuss teaching.  I heard their concerns as teachers and their success as teachers.  When I began my career I noticed the power of early childhood education.  I am a part of the Central Missouri community Action and we work to end poverty.  We administer programs that serve children and their families.  I originally came on to the board with my own early childhood “agenda” and I have evolved to listen as a board member and learn.
Are you finding yourself able to help our community as a whole understand the context and needs of our diverse population?
Yes.  I feel you have to value people and their experience.  Actually that is why I’m here with CMNEA today.
Speaking of early childhood, how do we make sure we are using developmentally appropriate practices in kindergarten and not feel the need to push reading and other academics on the young grades?
Teachers have to differentiate and it is one of their hardest jobs.  It is best to look at developmental stages and group by that ability.  Like mixed age grouping or looping.  Malcolm Gladwell’s book Outliers makes this point in many ways.  I am familiar with Head Start’s High Scope program in preschool classrooms and developmentally appropriate practices.  I am supportive of thinking about youngest ages and how to support best practice.
How would teachers communicate issues with you?
We have got to let experts be experts and we should listen to them and make decisions.  I would be very interested in teacher presentations and communication but I see Dr. Stiepleman and coordinators as the ones to make curriculum recommendations.
We do have teacher concerns increasing salary and restoring frozen steps.
I don’t know where we stand with salary in relation to other districts.  Teachers deserve more salary.  The board represents various views and balances priorities.  I think the board needs to make salaries a priority.  We should pay more.
What do you see as a board member’s role with legislators?
We should communicate with the legislators more and help them understand what is going on at the local level.  I’m at the capital with various reasons with my work position and have that opportunity.  The foundation formula has so many weaknesses and variables.  So when legislators call for full funding it doesn’t address the issue.  Legislators don’t understand the formula.  Big districts benefit from it and support it.
Teachers are experiencing students an increase in students with mental health issues.  What are your thoughts on this issue?
This is a huge issue.  I am sensitive to it due to my work position.  I would like more presentations to the board so we would have more information.  I think we can also look at support for students through community resources.  Then these strategies and resources can be applied to teachers.
How would you see teachers communicating with you?
I would want to know of teachers concerns that could lead to board presentations.  We do have to honor and represent the community.  I do wish there was more time to attend school functions.

Screening with School Board Candidate Derek Wade     January 23, 2015
Please tell us about yourself.
I’m not a Missouri native as I moved here from California 8 or 9 years ago.  I have been a teacher.  I taught English at a community college in Boonville, MO which was interesting and exciting.  I am not teaching now but would like to return to it someday.  My background work experience is in the entertainment industry and cattle business.  I have traveled the world as a yacht captain visiting over thirty five countries.
My desire for running is to serve Columbia Public School students.  But I was unaware that running is also so political.
What would you see as tools to bring about achievement for our students?
Money when used wisely.  Especially when it doesn't come with state and federal conditions that weigh it down.  You hear that it is all about state and federal budgets, but they have continued to fall short.  What other income sources are available?  What things can be removed from the current budget to free up funds for educating children?
What in classrooms is getting in the way of teaching?
I hear from community patrons that they feel their school is best.  That is great for Columbia.  I do have concerns that large schools are overcrowded and by being big inhibits a feeling of family.  I have a concern that a new middle school is needed yet bonds and taxes are not there to provide for it.  We need foresight to plan for big numbers and possibly ask the state for money.  What are we learning from current boundary changes that we will use with middle school growth?  Why are we not currently planning for that middle school bubble that is on the horizon?  These things take time and it seems we are always behind the need.
As a future school board member, how do you see yourself communicating with those in Jefferson City?
I would talk to our legislators though I realize state money is not enough.  The priorities need to shift at the state level.  We may need to audit the mandates that come with federal money and see if it is worth it.  
It is important to have ways to get revenue into the state.
Also, there may be ways to take advantage of the University of Missouri resources.  I’d like to look at the money you get from the university to train their students.  You should receive a significant stipend for hosting a student teacher.
There is concern that kindergarten is not currently being seen as early education with a priority of socialization and developmentally appropriate lessons.  How do teachers advocate for this when there is an emphasis on academics?
They'd need to quantify everything kids do in class.  I’d look at the board regarding curriculum and see their direction.  We do want to respect children as learners.  I’d hope it is kept fun and interesting and age appropriate.
What is the school board’s role in choosing curriculum?
To ask what is in place and how it is affecting students.  I’m not in the classroom so it is a conversation with teachers.  It is a collaborative issue.  I’d ask is it developing students for college?
Teachers are experiencing  an increase in students with mental health issues.  What are your thoughts on this issue?
I don't think teachers are equipped with training or resources in this area.  I’m aware that even our youngest students deal with this.  A tricky area is the challenge of mainstreaming to benefit that child.  We have to respect the parent’s rights and the child’s.  What facilities do we have for them?  We have federal mandates to provide, but not the money.  We can't just put them in the classroom and ask how come they are not achieving?  This is a shared responsibility between the state and federal government.
How would you see teachers communicating with you?
I feel I should listen to teachers because you are the first responders.  You work with children so we need to listen to you.  We have to respect everybody.


No comments:

Post a Comment